Monday, October 25, 2010

NaNoWriMo-- National No Writing Month?

Just kidding.  I know what  NaNoWriMo is.  I'm not THAT much of a noob.  I think I might sign up and give it a shot.  What have I got to lose?  Some sleep or some time that I could spend vacuuming (oh, wait, I never do that, so it's not like I have to reallocate any housework).

I revisited the snowflake method concept of plotting today, so I'll start with that and spend the rest of the week working on summary/synopsis stuff so that I can hit the ground running on Monday. 

In other writing type stuff, I have been thinking alot about "voice".  I realize that I write in ...'s WAY more than maybe I ought.  I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I have a 'yellow' brain and am pretty good at thinking in the abstract and seeing the big picture, but that I don't always finish sentences when I talk.  Apparently, I don't finish them when I write, either.  I always thought I was safe as a writer because I believe I write more clearly than I speak.  But now I'm not so sure...  See!?  There it is again! 

Now that I'm aware of my tendency to leave thoughts dangling, I'm a wreck.  Half the time I can't open my mouth to tell anyone anything because I'm afraid I'll get stuck in the middle of a thought. The rest of the time I ramble. I jump from one idea to another without warning, and have gotten even worse about starting a story and then forgetting the point of the story.  I get caught up in the side information that I think I have to share.  Oh GAWD!  I don't want to be one of those people!  It's either my yellow brain or early dementia...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Terri! New follower. Just wanted to give you a push towards NaNoWriMo. This will be my third year, and I look forward to it starting around...oh, December? It's such a great jumpstart to your writing, even if you don't win. :)

    I wouldn't worry too much about the ellipses. I use them a lot myself in casual writing, and I swear my husband can't finish a thought to save his life. :)

    ReplyDelete