Friday, October 29, 2010

How fast can I write?

I've been reading alot of blogs lately about how to prepare for NaNoWriMo:  get some good tea, get some good music, lay in a few crockpot meals (I rarely cook anyway, so that's not really a problem, my kids are really good at macaroni and cheese as long as someone remembers to buy milk).  It occurs to me to wonder if it is even physically possible to do this, to write 50,000 words in 30 days.  I've figured that if I am going to build in some 'off' days, I need to think about maybe gettting in 2,000 words a day.  How much of the day does this actually use?

 I just whipped up a scathing email in reply to a "discussion" I had with someone, and I wrote 103 words in 4 minutes, during which I stopped twice to reply to emails from my boss.  So if the "reply to my boss" break is cancelled out by the "I'm really mad so I'm typing twice as fast as normal" effect, then that means I can write 1545 words in an hour if I dont' stop to actually think about what I am writing.  Really? 

So that means that I need 32 hours to write 50K words.  Shoot.  I'll just take a couple of mental illness, er sick days and be done with it! 

Somehow I suspect that it's not going to be so straightforward.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe when you're struggling to make word counts you can add an argument between your characters. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The well is certainly full on that one! Not sure how a "married twenty years and I can't believe we are having this fight again" argument would translate to an "I just me you and I'm falling in love with you" argument, but we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha once you start writing you will get hooked and the words will flow. good luck I write romance too and thanks for following my blog am following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have been sitting at my computer for an hour and have written---oh, 400 words. Nano is going to kill me. *sigh* My internal editor is a shrew.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It usually takes me about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours to write the necessary words to do NaNoWriMo. And that's with me yelling at my kids to go to bed and getting up to get snacks.

    But there are the days that nothing seems to flow and so I write fewer words in the same amount of time. Go figure.

    It's going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It definitely varies from day to day for me, and when I'm in a good flow, I'll go for as long as I can to make up for stunted days. But on a good day, I can usually hit my 2k goal in around 2 hours.

    You'll get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete