Friday, April 1, 2011

Confessions of a Closet Writer, a guest post by Kate Pembrooke

I'm kinda busy with my cabana boy, Carlos, and my hubby, The Big Guy right now:  In another three weeks or so TBG and I will have been married 20 years.  We've actually been nice to each other for part of that time, so we are celebrating in Cancun.  We are with two other couples, all of whom aspire to be the least fancy people possible, which totally rocks, because there is no pressure to have "the right clothes".  I am pretty sure I might even lose the rattiest sweatshit contest. 

My very first writing friend, Kate Pembrooke has graciously agreed to do a guest blog for me while I watch The Big Guy arm wrestle with Carlos for the right to rub my feet.  Kate and I met in an online writing class.  I was the obnoxious one in the back row, heckling the teacher and she was the nice one in the front row who told me what the homework was when I fell asleep. 

Our lives as writers are pretty similar.  Kate is who I would be if I weren't too lazy to do the research necessary for historical romances.  And she would be me if she was inclined to raunchiness.  Unfortunately, she has a thing against Ohio State, but I am practicing my open-mindedness. 

Without further ado, I bring you...Kate! 

Confessions of a Closet Writer

My name is Kate and I’m a closet writer.  For years it’s been in the back of my mind that I’d like to try my hand at writing a book.  Someday.  When the kids got older, when I wasn’t homeschooling any longer, when life got less hectic. So I’d jot down story ideas and sketch out scenes.  I completed some short stories and even dabbled in writing poetry.  All to keep a connection with writing even though it wasn’t the writing I really wanted to do.  Well, the kids are older, I no longer wear my teacher hat (or at least only in a supplemental way to help with homework), and, well, I’m reconciled to the fact that life will probably always be hectic.
So about a year ago, I decided the time had come.  It was time to stop thinking about writing a book and get busy doing it.  I started taking online classes through RWA.  (In fact, that is how I met Teri Anne.  We were both taking a plotting class and we connected with each other since we were the newbies of the bunch.)  I set writing goals, which, sadly, I didn’t always meet.  But for the past year I have been writing. Not as regularly as I should, but steadily at least. I completed NaNoWriMo and, in the process, learned a lot about myself as a writer.  Namely I really can write more words in a day than I thought I could.  It all comes down to BICHOK.  (Butt in chair, hands on keyboard)
This year I joined RWA and my local chapter of RWA.  And let me say right now that the writing community is filled with some of the nicest, most generous people I’ve ever met. Initially, my main reason for joining was because I know myself, and I always take something more seriously if I’ve forked over money for it.  But the encouragement and support I get from the writers I have met at the monthly meetings has proven it was money well spent. 
I’m slowly transforming from a writer wannabe into a writer.  I’m still a closet writer though.  I haven’t reached the point where I feel comfortable boldly proclaiming that I’m working on that book I’ve always wanted to write.  I don’t mind sharing my writing ambitions with other writers.  They understand and, more often than not, are eager to offer suggestions to help me along my writing journey.  The circle of people who know I’m writing has expanded since a year ago. One of these days I may even let my friends and extended family in on my secret.

1 comment:

  1. Teri -- why choose between TBG and Carlos? You have two feet, don't you? ;)

    Kate -- I don't blame you for staying in that writer closet for a while longer. Non-writers have a tendency not to "get" how long the whole process can take. Best of luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete