Monday, January 23, 2012

She Cried, He Roared.

I picked up an old (10+ years) Sillhouette Something-or-Other to read last night.  It's pretty good, and I'm definitely going to finish it.  The problem is that the author used "she cried" and "he roared" about sixteen times each during one argument between the hero and heroine.  Okay, maybe not sixteen, but a lot.  Like more than twice. 

Once was enough.

I got that they were yelling at each other right away, and unless one of them calmed down, I don't think I needed to be reminded about the volume of the speaker.  I don't know if "he said, she said" would be better, or even if the dialogue needed identification...there were only two people in that scene, it was pretty clear which side of the argument each character was on. 

Anyway--just wanted to share that, I thought it was a good reminder about taking it easy on those dialogue thingys. 

Happy Monday! 

1 comment:

  1. LOL! It's amazing how certain things stand out like sore thumbs once you're writing yourself, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete