Thursday, January 27, 2011

Genre Exploration: Steampunk

I like to read lots of different kinds of romances:  contemporary, with and without suspense, historical, and paranormal.  My first choice is generally suspense, as I am a huge fan of Suzanne Brockmann, Linda Howard,and  Sandra Brown.  The more time I spend learning about writing, the more interested I've become in other genres.  I think that the reason I am working on contemporary stuff right now is because I am just too darned lazy to do alot of research or world building required for historical or paranormal romance. 

I've heard alot about Steampunk lately, and I was like, "eeeuww". I was never into Jules Verne or HG Wells, and this is kind of what Steampunk is like.  If you are not sure what I am talking about,  here is the
Wikipedia  link to the definition of Steampunk.  It's basically a sci/fi alternate reality fueled by steam instead of petroleum.  Kind of. 
I recently won a copy of The Iron Duke, by Meljean Brook, so I thought I'd just dip my toes in the water and see what's up with the whole Steampunk phenomenon.
iron duke cover

I haven't finished the book, but I am really enjoying it.  The first chapter was a little hard because there are a couple of different terms for the significant groups of people in the duke's world.  But after I got through that, I was good to go.  I like the external plot, and the romance is great.  The hero and heroine both have some major issues, and we all know how I love a damaged protagonist. 

When I decided to talk about Steampunk, and went to Wikipedia, I learned that this is not a new genre, that the movie Wild Wild West with Will Smith and Kevin Kline is steampunk.  Well,yeah, now that I look at it.  I just had never heard the term.  Maybe I need to get out more.


I'd love to hear what the rest of you think of Steampunk.  Have you read The Iron Duke?  Can you recommend any other Steampunk Romances?  What other genres should I explore and which writers do you recommend? 

4 comments:

  1. Usually steampunk romance is categorized as more of a gaslamp fantasy (can the story be told without the steam tech? If yes, then it's probably not full on steampunk. I wrote a post about the differences HERE).
    I'm a huge steampunk fan and i would recommend Gail Carriger's Soulless if you're looking for something that's more about the romance and less about the tech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, apparently the link didn't work, even though i checked it out in the preview first. Le Sigh.
    Anyway, here's the link if you're interested

    http://falenformulatesfiction.blogspot.com/search/label/Gaslamp%20Fantasy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any steampunk yet, but I am definitely curious about it and I will get around to it eventually. I tend to suffer from 'so many books, so little time' syndrome. The Iron Duke has generated a lot of buzz, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree wtih Sarah: read Gail Carriger's books. They are fabulous! And I'm going to take a look at the Iron Duke. Looks kinda yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete